Wednesday 18 March 2009

Zero to Hero – It’s All in the Headline

Celebrated by journalists, advertisers, marketers and astute business people for hundreds of years, great headlines are zero-or-hero, loved-or-lonely, make-it-or-break-it important. And it becomes more so every day. We live in a world where the headline is everything – whether we take notice, what we’re going to think about what comes next, how much time and credibility we’re going to allow something. It’s like this because we no longer always have time to try to work out whether stuff is relevant or interesting to us or not. There’s too much choice, too much information, too much to take our attention.

Give me the headline! I can then work out:

  • Do I read this email?
  • What’s this document trying to tell me?
  • Is this magazine worth buying this week?
  • Is this brochure worth picking up?
  • Does this website help me?

It’s the difference between engaging people or being ignored. No one gets to the opening paragraph or looks for the subheadings if the headline hasn’t interested them first.

And headlines don’t just come in text.

  • What’s the headline that your suit shouts in a first meeting with a client?
  • How do I trust you’re going to solve my problems? Easily? Courteously?
  • When you answer the phone like you don’t care what have you told me in BIG CAPS up front

Everything we do communicates something. And people will understand you more easily when you communicate – with everything you do – like a classic newspaper article; winning headline first, then bold opening paragraph giving an overview, followed by paragraphs broken up with subheadings.


How would your communication look in print? What (and where) are your winning headlines?

1 comment:

  1. You are truly a remarkable writer. I have been following your articles for about 18 months and
    you have inspired me. I look forward to every new post, keep up the good work.

    Sheree Fellemth/Owner
    Better Credit Network.com

    ReplyDelete